As I have been reviewing photos from my family from past years, I was struck with what a hard working family I had. When I have had the time to put their story together in picture form, I will share some of that rich inheritance with you. I also thought about my husband and children. Our children have a great legacy of work as an outgrowth of past family experiences. I see it in each one of you. Others have seen it as well. I have been told often what a valuable asset, your wonderful work ethic, you have all displayed, and that is due in large measure to your opportunities to work with your father.
I don't think we ever drove a car that worked when we brought it home. Well, there may have been one or two that just needed an oil change or a simple fix but Verlin knew what they needed to get them running. When he did end up with a nice looking, nice running vehicle, he always sold them! "Maybe we can keep the next one" he would say.
I must admit that over the years I complained A LOT and reminded Verlin that we probably could have been driving a new car if we had used all the money he put into broken cars and parts plus his labor (and yours) to fix them. He reminded me of two things that always shut me up. He said, first, that he was building and selling cars so that he could afford to get the snowmobiles and boats, etc. to have fun together as a family. That was a very strong motive for him. Second, he gently reminded me that he wasn't really building a car--he was building a boy. When I sit back now I get a little teary eyed thinking of what a wonderful job he did at building some amazing men and women that I am honored to call my children.
Here is just a short preview of the tools of his trade(s) and a sprinkling of the product of your efforts. (Most of you probably drove one or more of these vehicles.)I think I may have found one toy that he didn't really have to do much work on for you guys to have hours of fun---once he got the boat running!
3 comments:
I am very grateful for the work ethic that you and dad have given us. I've always been impressed with my brothers tolerance to work with dad.
Oh, I couldn't see the pictures.
Mom shows Ammon picture of car cut in half.
Mom-
"Do you know what car this is"
Ammon-
"It's a Chrysler New Yorker. I think that was the first car we ever cut in half and put back together"
Mom-
"I am impressed your Dad knew that could be done."
Ammon-
"I don't think that is supposed to be done."
Mom, thanks for the pictures and the thoughts. I love seeing that firebird that I drove at least halfway into the ground. I was hoping to see a shot of the blazer I totalled. Also brings back memories of all the fun snowmobiling and at Lake Powell. I love our family.
Post a Comment