Saturday,
September 28, 2013
Alarming
The other day as we were driving around, I asked my companion
how her back is doing because she developed a back ache a couple weeks ago. She said it is doing better. We began to wonder if it is our not-so-great
beds that are the source of her problem.
She has decided that she is going to get rid of her horrible twin bed
and sleep on her queen-size air mattress.
After dinner that evening, she did just that. I heard her in her bedroom rearranging things
so that she could fit her twin box spring and mattress and frame in her
closet. I don't know how she managed to
get it in there and still have room for her clothes, but I guess she did it. In the process of setting up her bed, she
bumped a little handle-like object sticking out of the wall. It was attached to a line much like a
telephone or internet cable. She kind of pulled on it when she was trying
to push it back into place, and it set off an alarm. I guess it is part of the security system,
which we have been told absolutely nothing about. I called the Apartment Management Services,
and they asked if it was an emergency.
About that time the shrieking alarm went silent, but I told them I
thought it was because I wasn't sure if the alarm would start up again or if it
was summoning the police, which we really didn't want to have happen. The security box by the front door was
flashing a message "Enter Code 2 Police". We left it alone and hoped that the alarm
wouldn't start up again. The lady on the
phone said she was only an answering service but would put in a trouble order. First thing the next morning, the Apartment
Management called and said that they put in a call to the security company and
they would get with us soon. We never
heard from them again. The box on the
wall continues its flashing message. We
are sure glad it wasn't really an emergency, because we would be dead by now
for sure. How embarrassing to think that
the whole complex could hear our alarm.
I didn't realize that until the next afternoon when the building across
the way had their alarm go off and it was REALLY LOUD. Shortly thereafter the fire truck arrived at
their door. When my companion set off
the smoke alarm while frying bacon the next night, I began to think maybe we
should still try to contact the security company about fixing our alarm just in
case we encounter the real thing.
This Week's History
Lesson
As we have driven around the Southern Maryland
countryside the past few weeks, we have identified more crops that we
frequently see. If we are not sure what
it is, I get on the internet in the evening and look it up. In addition to the tobacco fields, we have
seen many, many farms with corn, soybeans, and sorghum. Sorghum looks a lot like corn without the ears of corn, but it has the seeds at the top. Some varieties get very tall and others are only a few feet tall. The individual fields are not all that large around here (well compared to Montana farms). I think they are grown more for their use in ethanol production rather than
for food. The soybeans are a legume crop
which when rotated with corn and sorghum will help restore the nitrogen that
those crops deplete.
Sorghum field
We have also
noticed a vine plant that is plentiful in Maryland. It is the Kudzu vine. It is similar to Ivy. I don't think you want to purposely plant
this one. I saw an old house the other
day that was almost completely covered by the Kudzu. I didn't get a picture of it, but this one
gives you a pretty good idea of what it looked like. Not much roof was showing either.
Kudzu Barn
LISTS
I have a feeling that my missionary work is not quite the
same as what my children experienced or what the young missionaries of today
experience. Yes, we all wear a name tag
that tells others who we are, missionaries and representatives of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But at least for this
senior missionary it also serves a more practical purpose—as I have become more
prone to forget things, when I am introducing myself, I can just look at my shoulder if I forget my name.
So as I sit here, I can picture in my mind's eye the young
missionaries as they quickly prepare and go forth with their days; probably
quite a bit different from our planning.
Oh, we do forget a lot of things so we need a few memory aids. That is why we have so many lists. We have a printout of the ward directory, a
digital spreadsheet of the ward directory, a digital copy of the ward directory sorted
by towns, a condensed copy of the ward
directory by neighborhoods, a Google map with all of the data from the sorted city spreadsheet, and an expanded ward directory by neighborhoods
with spaces for notes. You would think this should be
sufficient, but somewhere there is a flaw.
In the beginning, we started out by each taking a small notebook in
which we wrote the names and addresses of the sisters we were going to visit
that day. After we went to each house,
we indicated in our notebook who was home and who was not. If we visited with them, we wrote a few
things from our conversation to help us remember them better. When we got back home we would transfer the
notes to one of our digital or paper lists, not necessarily the same list each
day. Maybe that is the flaw.
Now after two months we have multiple pages
of notes and multiple pages of lists and multiple pages of lists with notes. On the positive side, we have met many wonderful sisters, and even though we may not remember everything about them, we do remember the good feeling that we have after visiting with them. And I remember why I came out here; because of love for my family and the Lord. That I will always remember.




No comments:
Post a Comment