Wednesday,
October 23, 2013
Sister Boone and I sat down Sunday afternoon and made
a long list of sisters we could telephone and see if we can get a few
appointments for this week. We were
successful in setting nine appointments and then planned a few cold calls to
fill in the gaps. A couple of the
appointments canceled on us, but it turned out to be a good week in spite of
that. We are just trying to remain
positive that we do have a purpose for being here.
Today, the 23rd is my 43rd wedding anniversary. For the last six years I have been going to the temple on our anniversary, but did not do so today. Still, it was a most wonderful day. It was
one of those "after the trial of your faith" experiences. We started out in the middle of the trial
phase. Our first appointment was at 2:00
so we picked a few sisters to go to before that. At the first house, a woman answered the
door. Her tirade went something like
this. "Oh, are you looking for Achia? She is not here. She is my daughter-in-law. My husband is a police officer. He works nights and you just woke him up
AGAIN! (We have not been there before.)
If she is interested she will contact you so stop coming by."
We left feeling rejected and a little offended (at
least I did) by this seemingly personal attack.
I wondered if I even wanted to knock on another door, but we did. It would be much safer to just call the
sisters and see if we can come see them.
But from our experience, most of them do not answer their phone or
return the call when we leave a message.
Two more sisters were not home.
And then it was time for our first appointment. We had visited Nancy before and enjoyed this
visit. Sister Boone gave a little
spiritual thought before we said a prayer together and left. She picked the perfect message for such a
day. It was about pure charity. It was a gentle reminder that helped me
accept the harsh words we had received earlier this morning with forgiveness.
Our next appointment was with a wonderful sister of
German descent. She was born in Bavaria,
joined the church as a teenager, and met an American student about a year later
at a combined ward New Year's Eve party.
They were married in the Provo temple.
She was an only child as her father died young, and she is the mother of
four children. She studied Comparative
Literature and her husband studied Slavic Linguistics. Their children are all well-educated. It is so refreshing to converse with her. She talked about the differences she has
noticed between Americans and Germans but it was not in a derogatory way. In her experience, Germans are not as open
with others, especially strangers, but their families are very close. She has a wonderful relationship with her
children and is such a positive person.
She has great spiritual insights.
It was just delightful to spend an hour with her. As usual, we ended our visit with a spiritual
thought and prayer. After the thought,
she asked us another question: "In
your experience here, why do you think people leave the church or become
inactive?" We said that is the
question we have asked ourselves on several occasions. She told us that her interest rises from the
fact that she works with the Seminary program for the youth on a Stake level
and visits the various seminary classes to observe and guide the teachers (some
of which are not trained as teachers, just called to those positions as their
ward calling). When our discussion
suggested in many cases the youth (investigators) just do not gain a testimony
that will sustain them through this experience we call life, she shared her
interesting insight regarding the matter of helping the youth (and those whom
the missionaries teach) to gain a testimony outside of the connection they may
or may not have with the teacher (or missionary). They must not just be converted to the
teacher but rather to the Savior. She
believes that sometimes the teacher expresses a lesson in such a way that it
becomes rather theatrical, a performance. It can be very moving, and the student may be touched by the message but does not recognize that as the Spirit or the Holy
Ghost. Unless the teacher can step back
in a sense and let the student feel the true influence of the Spirit and be
taught by the Holy Ghost they may come away with a false testimony, one that is
dependent on that teacher and not on the true source of light, Jesus Christ.
This is the same basic concept that is often discussed
about missionary work. The missionaries
come with a special message about Jesus Christ and the listeners hear and feel
a special feeling that they have not felt before. This is the Light of Christ that is available
to all men. They associate this
wonderful feeling with the missionaries.
They feel the Spirit and are baptized.
But if they do not develop a relationship with the Savior, their
activity in the Church and their testimony dims when the missionaries are gone.
After we talked about this principle, this good sister
offered a beautiful, heartfelt prayer that was just what our spirits needed
this day. I felt my heart swell within
me as we visited. Her prayer was an expression of the message that Heavenly Father wanted us to hear this day. We stood to leave. She said " and now you give hugs"
as if to ask that is just what you do, right?
Sister Boone hugged her and said "Thank you. I feel like I know you now." Then I hugged her and said "I feel like
I knew you before."
1 comment:
I really liked that story, thanks for sharing. Those trial of your faith days can really feel like a roller-coaster ride, thankfully God gives us a good dose of joy to go with our servings of humble pie. I'm sorry I didn't comment before, I was thinking about you and dad on your anniversary, guess I should have done less thinking and more telephoning or something.
Post a Comment