Tuesday, July 1, 2008

One Year Later...

June 30, 2008...the end of one year in my new reckoning of time since I was separated from my best friend--Verlin, and today is the beginning of another year.

Admittedly, my mind has gone over the events of the few days preceding and following Verlin's death, and it has been an emotional week. I hope that the rest of you are doing okay and having good memories of Dad. That is what he would want. I talked to Alvin for a moment today, and he told me that he took Jacob to Panguitch yesterday (June 30) to his state baseball tournament. While they were traveling he saw a cow elk on the highway. An odd coincidence for this particular day. I am certainly glad we have some happy memories to fall back on when we start feeling down.

In some ways, this has been a very long year, in others it has seemed but a moment. My grandmothers lived to be 93 years old and 90 years old (minus a week), so if I am fortunate enough to live to age 90, I have about 32 more years or 11,703 days to learn everything that I am supposed to do and do everything I am supposed to learn. That is a lot of learning and doing!

I am so grateful for all the support I have received this year from my children (and spouses) and even grandchildren, and my friends and neighbors. I certainly didn't reach this milestone alone. The Lord has been my strength and my beacon of light. I have learned that Heavenly Father knows and loves EACH one of us. He knows our names and our needs. I am grateful for the knowledge that our Savior lives, and because he lives, Verlin lives and we will see him again.

2 comments:

Abby said...

It is still suprising to me as I realize all of the things dad did for me on a regular basis. Even after I married and moved away. The year hasn't been easy and we have made many decisions without him being here. He helps us daily and is in our thoughts. I miss him too. I love you mom

Andrew and Melissa said...

Hi mom,

I'm sorry things have been difficult and lonely for you. I am amazed by your strength but I often feel you hold back your feelings too much from your children. It is good to hear you open up and let us know how you feel. I love Dad very much and often feel that he is close by. I appreciate his life of service and love for his children and strangers alike.

Grandma

Grandma
Now...

Colleen (Teeny)

Colleen (Teeny)
Then...