Sunday, June 15, 2008

We All Have Embarrassing Moments...

Today I had one of mine. For those of you who don't know, I am the Ward Chorister in our ward. On Sunday morning just before church starts, I look through the songs which I will be directing for Sacrament Meeting to see what the meter of each song is and if there are any fermatas that I need to remember to hold. I looked at the opening hymn, then the sacrament hymn then the closing hymn. The choir was also going to sing so there were choir members sitting next to me. I guess I was distracted by the commotion around me. Before I knew it it was time to stand up and lead the opening hymn. I stood up and smiled at the organist. "Get ready, get set, begin". I glanced at the music, which began on the downbeat, but the song sounded more like it should be starting on the upbeat. I went for the upbeat and we began. I knew the first few words so I didn't look closely at the music for a line or two. It began to dawn on me that I was not on the correct page. I looked at the numbers posted nearby and then at my book. Great! I still had my book opened to the closing hymn. I knew I couldn't fake it through three verses so I tried to think of how I could hold the book in one hand, keep beating out the song with my other hand AND get the page turned from page 83 to page 217, all without being too obvious what a nut I am. Then I had an idea. I would quietly set my book on the organ next to me and turn the pages to 217. That should be easy! I continued to beat out the 4/4 rhythm as best I could while frantically but quietly turning the pages which were not cooperating. By this time I had lost track of the words completely. I was quickly losing control of the situation, when the sister sitting next to me in the choir quietly reached out and handed me her book which was open to the RIGHT page. I soon caught up with the audience and the organist and finished the hymn with a lot of smiles. I like to smile at people in the congregation while I am conducting the hymns, but this was ridiculous. All I could do the rest of the hymn was grin sheepishly. Maybe it is a good thing that some people don't pay attention to the chorister anyway. Not everyone noticed what a goofball I am!

2 comments:

The Pooles said...

Tehehe. I wish I could have been there to grin back at you. It's times like this that I know I have a little bit (okay, maybe a lot) of my mom's genes. : )

Hatch Family said...

great story! we all have one we could share.....

lora

Grandma

Grandma
Now...

Colleen (Teeny)

Colleen (Teeny)
Then...