Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hike to Timp Cave


Since we didn't get a chance to hike to Timp Cave for the family reunion, I was glad that Aaron suggested this as an activity last weekend when they were visiting. I asked him if they had jackets for the time inside the cave and he said he didn't think they had brought any. I said I thought we would have jackets they could use.

Early Saturday morning Aaron went and stood in line to get tickets for us. Armed with water bottles and snacks we drove up the canyon and met Ammon and Abby and family in the parking lot. We all pulled out our jackets to prepare for the cool 40 degree temperature of the cave...well almost everyone had a jacket. I had forgotten to get the jackets for Aaron's family as I promised. Fortunately Abby had a rather girlish pullover that would probably fit Morgan snugly but she boldly offered to let Morgan wear Hyrum's sweatshirt and put the girly sweater on their own boy. I am glad he has such an abundance of self confidence that he would not be intimidated by jeers of "Sissy" that he may encounter.

We headed up the trail at 8:20 a.m. anticipating a 1 1/2 hour hike to arrive in time for the 9:50 tour. We had an uneventful hike and made it to our destination 10 minutes ahead of schedule. Man, Aaron! We could have spent a few more minutes on those benches!

The cave was as dark and wet and cold as I remembered but the tour seemed longer than on previous trips. It was enjoyable though. It was hard to keep Morgan from touching the formations. I am sure if Aaron hadn't held his hand or held him he would have found it hard to resist climbing on them. He seemed especially excited about the one that resembled a St. Bernard dog.

In the hour that we were in the cave, the outside temperature had risen, but it was still a fairly pleasant hike down the trail. We encountered quite a few more hikers and they seemed tired and hot. We were super glad that we had chosen an early tour. It was perfect.


To see more pictures, go to this link:
Timp Cave

1 comment:

Abby said...

Thanks for documenting the outing for us! I will have to copy your description for our journals. I think Hyrum survived wearing the girl sweatshirt. I was certainly more embarassed when others hikers passed then Hyrum was!

Grandma

Grandma
Now...

Colleen (Teeny)

Colleen (Teeny)
Then...