Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Vision Coming Together

(pictures compliments of Abby)

Verlin had a vision of family fun when he decided to replace his damaged boat with a 1999 Monterey Bowrider a couple years ago. Spring of 2007 we pulled the boat from its parking spot in the lower part of the Duchesne property and towed it to the shop so he could work on it. He and Alex spent time working on it and nearly had it ready to try on the reservoir. The plan was that on June 30, 2007, after his morning appointment at the college in Roosevelt with the hot tap welder, they would button up a few last items on the boat and take it for a trial run on Starvation Reservoir. Unfortunately, because of our accident, Verlin's plans were cut short that morning. Fortunately, his boys carried on with the vision and made preparations to get the boat running as Dad would have wanted. Alvin got the boat running but it still had a problem so the boat was parked until this spring. Now almost a year later, the boat is finally running, thanks to the investment of Alvin, Gary and Ammon.

On June 13, 2008, after replacing the coupler, Ammon took it out on Utah Lake to test its integrity. He drove it for a few minutes and noticed that it was overheating. He stopped and found that the waterpump was not working. The boat wouldn't start again so he began to row back to dock. The oar was inadequate and he was making little progress, so he put on his lifejacket, jumped in the water and began towing the boat to shore. Not one boater even stopped to offer assistance. A couple hours later he finally arrived in the harbor, and when he was within about 30 feet of the dock, someone finally offered to help.

He took the boat back home and replaced the waterpump. Feeling confident that it would work this time, Abby and the kids and I went with him for the second trip to the lake. It was encouraging when Ammon discovered that the waterpump was working and the boat ran well, with the exception of needing an adjustment of the carburetor to slow down the idle. We enjoyed just driving around on the lake for a while. Hyrum thought it was great fun!

Bright and early this morning, Ammon hitched up the boat again and Alex and Laura and I went out to the lake again before the lake got too crowded with boats and hopefully find some good waterskiing water. We were early enough to beat most of the boaters except for a few fishermen, but not early enough to beat the wind--the water was not glass, it was kind of choppy. Ammon adjusted the carburetor and then Alex and Ammon both took a couple turns skiing. They said it was more of a conditioning run. They used a few muscles that haven't been used in a while.

I for one enjoyed the experience. Dad would have been proud of me for just making the attempt to go on the boat. I wish I had gone with him more when he invited me to come along. I enjoyed watching the boys ski. When I looked into the morning sun and watched the boys ski, their silhouettes reminded me of Verlin doing one of the things he enjoyed most. He would be glad to see that we are keeping the vision going.

4 comments:

Abby said...

Mom's boat is very nice and running great. I hope everyone gets plenty of opportunity to enjoy it. Last year I told Abby I was done with boats. We sold ours and I thought that was it. However, as it was with Mom, waterskiing reminds me too much of Dad and I can't give it up. I really enjoyed being on the lake with family.

Andrew and Melissa said...

We look forward to trying it out! Hopefully we can go out when we come to Utah in July.

The Pooles said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun out on the water. I wish I could be there to enjoy it with you. I'm glad that you were able to finish getting the boat up and running and out on the lake as a tribute to Dad. I sure do miss him and am glad for all the fond memories.

Hatch Family said...

boating is one of my fond memories of verlin. i'm glad that you were able to enjoy a couple mornings in the water remembering family outtings and creating new ones.

lora

Grandma

Grandma
Now...

Colleen (Teeny)

Colleen (Teeny)
Then...