
Here is her message:
On your and Jim's Day it brings back fond memories of your first year especially. Calvin-looking from one end of the crib (his) to the other "Two of em-and in MY bed!" Pictures of the two of you on your first birthday--out on the lawn where you are teaching Jim to walk-alone. You had been walking about 4 months earlier. Dee going from the house to the outdoor privvy with a gallon can in each hand. Bill and Beulah Jacques [neighbors] had just driven up to the house. Beulah asked Dee what he was doing. He was quite embarrassed--ducked his head & said "I'm emptying the pots into the toilet." Beulah thought it was quite funny. I want to tell you it wasn't funny in the middle of winter at night when you had to make a midnight "quick trip" to the little house. Dad had taken a wooden orange crate & removed one end--cut a Colleen & Jim size hole in the center board & the gallon can was placed on the bottom board so you & Jim didn't have to trek outside at night. Jim was still in diapers but you had trained yourself by the time you were 8 months old. You could also talk so we knew what & when you needed to go! You were & still are cute. We had a good visit with Katrina & Kyle & both remarked how much she looks like you. The visit was all too short but we appreciated them going this far out of their way to come and see us. Now it's your turn? Love you lots, Mom & Dad
Can you imagine that!? I could walk, talk AND was potty trained by the time I was 8 months old!!

Maybe she meant to say 18 months, or maybe Mom just kept me in diapers after I was potty trained just so Jim wouldn't feel bad that he was so much slower than me. He even admitted to a grade school teacher once that he was slower than me because I was ten minutes older than he was.
3 comments:
That picture of you holding your brothers hand is so cute. I guess I was a more clear talker and a little ahead of my brother in some ways, but I wonder if girls just develop most things quicker than boys???
Wow, I've always thought you were smart mom, but those are some real bragging rites and you even have it in writing!
Oh, Kyle and I drove up to Cowley the summer of 1998, in July.
Post a Comment