Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Easter Hail Storm

Spring seemed to come late to our Montana ranch. We were lucky if the ground was clear of snow by Easter. I remember how amazing it was to me the first year I attended General Conference in Salt Lake City and the lawns were already green. So it was no surprise that we would take advantage of one special Easter Sunday when the weather was mild and unseasonably warm to have a celebration. After church, we children made some sandwiches and went to a stand of trees about a quarter to half mile east of the house and had a little picnic.
In the background of this picture you can see the trees where we had our picnic.
As we ate and played we noticed that the weather was turning cooler and the sun was hidden behind advancing clouds. We decided it was time to return to the house. A little before milking time, Warren and Gary were sent on their errand of bringing in the milk cows so the older brothers could milk them. They hadn't been gone long when we noticed the suddenly menacing green color of the western sky.
We had learned that meant hail and I will never forget that color. Our thoughts turned to Warren and Gary out in the pasture west of the house without any protection. As we looked westward we saw something white bouncing as it were across the fields. At first it made us think of the "cotton" from the cottonwood trees blowing along. Then we realized it was hail, only much, much larger. Mom sent Calvin in a hurry out to the truck to drive into the field and get Warren and Gary. . There were two windows on the west side of the house; Mom's and Dad's room had one and the boys' room had one. There were similar windows just opposite on the east side of the house. (This is me at a younger age, looking out the boy's window watching our Primary have a party in our backyard while I sat inside with the mumps.)
In the living room we had a large mirror maybe 3 feet by 5 feet hanging on the west wall. As we heard the first hailstones hit the house with a large thud, we stood frozen in the middle of the living room. We watched and listened as the hailstones pelted the house and the mirror in the living room bounced out with every strike. We didn't dare go to the windows to see if Warren and Gary were safe. We could only hope that Calvin was able to get to them in time. As we waited, we heard a hailstone hurl through the boy's west bedroom window, hit the floor and exit through the east window.
I'm pretty sure Mom's and Dad's window was also broken. After what seemed like a very, very long time (actually probably just a few minutes because there was such a wind behind the hail), the hail stopped beating down and we heaved a sigh of relief as the storm pushed on. Thankfully, Calvin was able to reach Warren and Gary before they were injured and they all climbed under the truck to wait out the storm. That was a wise move. Every vehicle that we owned had the westward facing window broken out. The eaves of the house and the garage had holes in the eaves where hailstones hit the aged wood. Several of our sheep were killed by hail. The hail was bigger than a large grapefruit. Calvin, who was in high school at the time, couldn't pick up a hailstone without using both hands, not so much because of weight but because of gripping such a large slippery stone when his fingertips couldn't reach beyond the radius of the stone to grasp it. From later reports we learned that the intensity of the storm was at its peak as it hit our farm. Neighbors on either side reported much smaller stones than we encountered. We found a stone that fit nicely in a Tupperware cereal bowl and saved it in the freezer for quite a while to show people because we thought they wouldn't believe it when we told them how big the stones were. Fortunately, though we had other hailstorms golf ball size or smaller, we never encountered another "grapefruit" storm.

Here is a picture taken from our yard after a storm (not the one mentioned here).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your stories are as fun to read as any good book. Thanks again for the time you put into sharing them.

Unknown said...

Colleen, thanks for inviting me to your blogsite. I remember a few additional details about THE hailstorm. Now, I remember other hailstorms, too. Once I was driving the red '58 Ford pickup home from Melstone. I was driving straight into a hailstorm (they always came from the west). I thought I could just keep driving into it. Wrong! The headwind slowed me down alot. I down shifted a couple times to keep forging ahead. Then the golf ball hail scared me. I stopped, grabbed the cardboard from behind the seat (the one we used in the winter in front of the radiator), and put it against the window and held it with my feet.
Back to THE hailstorm. Inside the house we could feel the wind approaching gale force. We thought of the boys. Dad had told me a little earlier to go get Gary and Warren. You know me. In my mind it didn't really mean RIGHT NOW! So Calvin went in the pickup. Then Dad got really nervous when he saw the hailstones bouncing off the ground a half mile away. He tore out to get in the green station wagon. I watched guiltily out the back door as I saw him narrowly escape being hit by huge hail stones.
I thought to myself right then, "What about Adrian--or was it Lori--who was asleep in the crib next to the west window in the folks' room?" (I always thought I was 12 when this happened, so that would have been Lori in the crib, right?) Anyway, I dashed around from the back door through the living room, through the boys' room and into the folks' room. I skirted the foot of their bed to the right, grabbed down and swooped up the infant into my arms, and reared back away from the window. Just as I did, hailstones, glass and rain came flying in right into the crib. As I edged around the foot of the bed and into the boys' room I lucked out and rushed back into the living room while a barrage of hail dusted my fanny--hitting the floor and bouncing out the opposite window on the east side of the boys' room. Us kids huddled in fear in the living room, not knowing if the whole house was going to blow over, and not knowing if Dad and the boys were safe.
The devastation was unreal. About 20 sheep were killed outright by blows to their head, necks or backs. About every horse and cow was bruised, battered and lacerated as they ran against fencing in their headlong flight from the storm. We treated the sheep for maggots all summer because their severe abrasions were infested with flies (then maggots). The corrugated metal roof on the barn was dimpled with softball sized depressions. All of our alfalfa and grain fields were literally mowed down--the summer growing season absolutely wasted.
As I contemplate John the Revelator's prophecy of a last-days hailstorm such as the earth has never known, my apprehension is probably greater than most. In Revelations 16:21 he sees "a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great." The bible dictionary indicates a talent as being 75.6 pounds. I always thought that reference was hyperbole (not to be taken literally). You might google megacryometeor formations that are increasingly more common. One report is that Spain experienced such ice storms over a 10-day period with cloudless skies. Such hail stones have ranged from 6.6 pounds to one in Brazil that tipped the scales at 440 pounds.

Grandma

Grandma
Now...

Colleen (Teeny)

Colleen (Teeny)
Then...