Tuesday, May 28, 2013

MRI Guided Biopsy

May 28, 2013
MRI Guided Biopsy

Appointed time—8:00 a.m.; arrive at 7:45.  Because it has been six years since I was at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center (for Verlin's end-of-life care) I wanted to arrive a bit early to allow for getting lost between the parking garage and the MRI wing of the hospital.  So I left home at 6:50.  I arrived at 7:15.  I had plenty of time to find my way, fill out paperwork, and get checked in.  It was probably closer to 8:30 when they took me back to get dressed and put in the IV line for the purpose of delivering contrast dye.  More waiting. 

"We're just about ready.  The doctor should be here by 9:00."

I'm cold. 

"We'll warm up a blanket for you."

(I began to think back on deliveries of my babies and how cold I would get.  I am not sure if the shivering was due to the cold or the fear/anxiety.  Having done it nine times before, I was especially conscious of this when I had Teresa.  I told Verlin that I didn't really think I could go through it one more time, but I sure am glad I did, Teresa!!)

They did warm a blanket for me today but it took a while before they could actually put it over me.  First they had me climb up on the table, put elbow pads on my arms, hooked up the contrast feed to the IV tube, and positioned me and repositioned me and repositioned me on the table.  Then they had me sit up again while they made adjustments to the table to accommodate my body habitus.  Finally they were ready to begin.

The nurse helped me put the earplugs in this time, and they were in much better than last time, so the noise was actually tolerable.  After a few pictures were taken to locate the mass of interest and what seemed like a very, very, long wait, the techs and the doctor came back in and performed the biopsy.  They placed a marker in the predetermined site and then went out and checked with the MRI again to see if they had it placed where they wanted it.  They came back and said we need to make a little adjustment.  They placed a second marker and rechecked with the MRI.  Deciding that they were in the best spot, the doctor then used a core needle and withdrew about a dozen tissue samples.  By the time he stopped, I felt like there would be nothing left to be removed with the lumpectomy tomorrow.  The doctor tried not to make comments about size, but he did say something about things being very tight because of the "small margins".  The tech said if it had been 1 mm smaller, they probably wouldn't have been able to perform the biopsy.  Well, it was accomplished, and I then went to mammography for a couple images to check the position of the markers.  That was all there was to it.  It was now 10:45.  All that remained was to figure out which way to the parking garage so I could go home.

Now on to my next appointment.

The Bone Scan
My afternoon has not been extremely hard, but neither has it been extremely uplifting.  About 12:00 noon, the doctor's office called me and left a message that I should call them back after their lunch hour, which ended at 1:30.  My bone scan appointment was at 1:30, so I told them that I would be ready as soon as I called my doctor.  The nurse told me that the doctor who did the biopsy was concerned about the tissue samples that he had removed.  Even though he couldn't say if they were malignant or benign, it was his recommendation that I have a mastectomy, not just a central lumpectomy.  That means an overnight stay and more recovery time, but I won't let that get me down.  I want to be sure we get all unfriendly tissue removed.

The bone scan was not nearly as uncomfortable as the MRI and it was fairly brief.  Well, actually, it wasn't uncomfortable at all.  The results showed that there has been a bit of bone density loss since my last scan five years ago.  The spine area is now designated as having osteopenia, which means pre-osteoporosis stage.  I will just continue to use calcium supplements and exercise to try and maintain skeletal health

After I came home from the clinic, I decided to go pick up a couple items at the grocery store.  I took one of my new umbrellas with me in case there was a downpour while I was in the store.  In retrospect, that wasn't such a good idea.  My mind was not too focused on what I was doing, and when I left the store, I left my brand new umbrella in the shopping cart.  I realized it when I got home and immediately returned to see if I was lucky enough to find it still sitting in the cart.  No such luck.  I checked with Customer Service and with the baggers who handle the carts.  No one had seen the umbrella.  I felt like the person who found it might still be in the store, so I wandered through the store to see if I could spot it.  No.  I guess it walked out of the store shortly after I did, because I could not find it now.  I hope the new owner appreciates it as much as I did.

About 4:00 p.m. I got a call from Same Day Surgery to inform me that check-in time on Wednesday is 7:45 a.m.  First, I must start a fast after midnight tonight--nothing by mouth including water, gum, or mints.  If I can brush my teeth without ingesting any of these things, that is okay.  I have been given further instructions, which although I know they are necessary for safety and sterility, they seem to add insult to injury.  I can bathe or shower and shampoo my hair prior to surgery, but no other hair products, no makeup, no lotions, no deodorant, no perfumes, and no powders.  So where does that leave my self-esteem?  I will be going into surgery with very little dignity, and will come out with even less, losing part of my person, part of my womanhood.  But do you know what?  I think it is okay, because I know who I am.  I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father who loves me, and no one can take that away from me.  The wonderful blessing of family is evidence of His love for me.  One by one my children all contacted me this evening to check in and see how I am holding up and to offer me their support.  I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Grandma

Grandma
Now...

Colleen (Teeny)

Colleen (Teeny)
Then...