May 14, 2013
The Diagnosis…
I have been waiting almost a week and a half to hear from my dermatologist. It has been a very long wait. On Friday, the 10th, I called their office to
see if they had heard anything. It had
been a week, so just maybe the pathology report was back. No luck.
So I waited over the weekend. I decided
to give them one more business day to give me a call, and if they didn't call
on Monday, I would call them again Tuesday.
Monday night I received some transcription work to do the next morning
so this took my mind off of my worries for a while.
I began Tuesday morning with my usual routine--prayer,
scripture study, and exercise--before I began to do my transcription work. In addition, this morning I was prompted to
take out the book that Heidi had given me for Christmas, a book by Elder
Jeffrey Holland entitled "For Times of Trouble." It is a collection of short writings about
some of his favorite passages from the Book of Psalms. Instead of reading a chapter, I took out the
DVD that came with it and listened to a couple sections of the video. The first one was "How do I lay my burdens
at the Savior's feet?" The next one
was "The importance of following promptings." One of the passages that he mentioned in this
second discussion is in the eighth chapter of Romans, two thoughts in
particular that can help us get through tough days. First is Romans 8:28. "And we know that all things work
together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according
to his purpose." The other thought
is verse 31 in the same chapter:
"What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" Those two verses can go a long way to sustain
a person in times of trouble. With God
on our side, it doesn't matter who or what is against us. And remember, ALL things work together for
our good if we love and trust the Lord.
We may not like what comes our way, and we may not understand it yet, but
it will always work out for our good, whatever that may be.
Having listened to those two talks by Elder Holland, I
was armed for the day before me. However,
before I took the time to give Dr. Eberting a call, I received a call from her
at 10:38 a.m. She got right to the point
and said "Unfortunately, you do have Paget's disease as you suspected. Fortunately, you caught it very early." It seemed strange to feel a sense of relief,
but that is the first feeling I had. I
was pretty certain that this would be the case; I just wanted to hear the
official diagnosis and get on with the treatment.
Dr. Eberting recommended a capable breast surgeon in
American Fork, Dr. Jennifer Tittensor, and said she would send the report to
her via email and ask her to contact me as soon as possible. Hopefully I will hear from her in a day or two
or I will be calling again. When I got
off the phone with Dr. Eberting, I took a minute or two to collect my thoughts
and then called each of my children who were as anxious as I was to hear the pathology
results. I am so grateful for such great
children (and their spouses). They have
always been so supportive and concerned about my welfare. I don't doubt that we will get through this
valley somehow and the next vista will be grand. Towards the end of Romans 8 Paul says "Nay, in all
these things we are more than conquerors through him that loves us."
(Romans 8:37)
1 comment:
We love you. We're glad you have the comfort of the spirit. We're praying for you and anxiously awaiting more details.
Post a Comment