Have
you ever experienced an increased awareness of how many of the same make and
model of your current automobile you seem to notice on the road? When we started driving a Suburban, I began
to notice how many Suburbans there were on the roads. (Well, in Utah, that may not be a good
example. There have always been lots of
Suburbans on the roads because that is a great vehicle for large
families!) Now that I drive a Subaru, I
seem to notice every Subaru that drives by. Is it because of a human need for commonality with others?
Yesterday when I went to the doctor's office for my first postsurgery
appointment, I felt a bit uncomfortable being in public for the first time since
surgery. I tried to look inconspicuous
so people would not notice that something seemed to be missing. At the same time, I found myself casting
furtive glances at other women I passed to see if there was any indication that
we had recently been through the same experience. I smiled to think I was just looking
for "Subarus".
Last
night before I went to bed, I was looking at family Blogs. I came across news items and pictures that
reminded me of Anson's two-year battle with cancer many years ago. I tried to imagine the impact it had on him
at that moment in time. Even though I
silently watched his struggle, I don't think I fully comprehended how hard it
was for him. I am so thankful that he is
a survivor. I think he has more compassion
because of it.
When
I was driving down for my first doctor visit after receiving word that I now
had cancer, I received a confirmation that everything would be okay. Heavenly Father just needed me to have this
exercise in compassion so that I could be a better missionary and
representative of Jesus Christ. Looking
back, although it was a hard thing to go through, I can't help but feel like
somewhat of a "cheater" as a cancer survivor. Unless there is a sudden change of opinion,
the doctors do not think I need to have either chemotherapy or radiation. In a matter of weeks, the threat of the beast
has abated, and I can look forward to pursuing my goals with only minimal interruption. I began to wonder if I can call myself a cancer survivor at all in a
battle where I didn't even have to draw my sword.
1 comment:
Well mom, do you think the city of Jericho felt that way for the few who were chosen to march in and sound their horns and unveil their candles. Some things seem grander than others but I find the battle of Jericho to be quite glorious indeed. I'm glad you have so much faith and followed the spirit. Imagine how different the circumstance would have been had you not followed those promptings early on to be persistent and that this was something to be concerned about and get taken care of. Reading your post made me think of how important it was that Christ suffered personally and in a very real form our pains and sorrows. I think that is one of the many reasons he is known as the prince of peace.
Post a Comment