Thirty-one
days ago, I sat in a dermatologist's office following up on an impression that
I might have breast cancer. She did a
punch biopsy that day to get the ball rolling.
The eleven days between the biopsy and the call from the dermatologist
about the results was such a long time.
Looking back, it seems like an eternity.
Since May 3rd, so much has happened; has it really only been 31
days? An ultrasound, an MRI, another
ultrasound, another MRI (with biopsy), chest x-rays, blood draws and finally
surgery. Today, the pathology report
came back. The doctor called and was
very happy to report good news. The
lymph nodes were clean. 10 of the 13 biopsy
samples had DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) so it was a good decision to do a
mastectomy. However, there was no
invasive cancer. No hormone receptors
were indicated. For followup care, there
really is none! No radiation. No chemotherapy. I will see the doctor on Thursday to have the
drain removed. She will refer me to an
oncologist, which is basically a formality to receive medical clearance. As soon as I am strong enough, I can proceed
with mission plans. I am so blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment