Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Week After

The Week After

June 5th, marked one week since surgery.  Time seems to go so slowly when there is nothing to do but sleep, read, eat, sleep, watch TV, and sleep.  Although I feel like I am healing quickly, my strength is not returning as quickly as it did after I had a baby.  The lapse of 25 years since my last baby may have something to do with that diminished capacity to rebound.

I waited the recommended 3-4 days before removing the dressings to take a bath or shower.  I thought it might be an emotionally disturbing event to view my altered image in the mirror, but it wasn't so bad.  I think I can live with this.  I bathed, and then contemplated leaving the Ace wrap off afterwards because it was a bit uncomfortable.  Without it, there was really no easy way to hang the JP drain pump, so I replaced it the best I could without help.  Only a few more days and then hopefully it would be gone along with the drain tube that caused a certain degree of disfigurement as well as discomfort. 

On Thursday, the 6th, I went to my followup appointment with my surgeon.  While I sat in the waiting room, I decided to look up the oncologist that I had been thinking of requesting for my postsurgical care.  One site caught my attention as it promised some reviews from previous patients.  There were only four reviews.  Three of them were pretty much standard reviews-just mark the categories as agree or disagree.  The questions dealt with things like was it easy to get an appointment, was the wait time short during my visit, was the staff professional and friendly, was my problem accurately diagnosed, did the doctor spend enough time with me.  As I said, three reviews were excellent.  The fourth was a bit strange, but I was interested to see why this patient did not recommend the doctor.  She said things like:  He was evil.  Sitting in his office was like being in the room with the devil.  He has nothing on his mind but to sign you up with death,   She went on about the poison and radiation that they try to fill your body with.  In spite of her warnings, I decided that I would like to see this doctor.  Maybe I am just a bit curious about the devil thing

Another search brought me to a blog page of a person who had experienced double mastectomy.  She had a very good outlook on her experience.  She also had the same doctor that I did and the same oncologist that I chose.  She went into great detail about the procedures such as the MRI and the PET scan.  After surgery, she described the office experience of having the drains removed.  After reading her description, I had almost decided to inquire if mine could be left in permanently.  Why didn't I think of bringing along someone who could squeeze my hand during the procedure?!  I took comfort in the fact that this lady revealed in her Blog that she is an actress.  Maybe she was just being dramatic.  But before I could change my mind, the nurse called my name and took me back to the exam room.

The first part of my visit was with the nurse.  First item of business was to determine if the drain could be removed.  The conversation went something like this.

Is there a reason that you are still wearing the Ace wrap?  Do you feel more comfortable with it on?  Not really, I reply.  It is actually kind of uncomfortable at times when it pinches the tube against my flesh just right.  I didn't tell her that I just couldn't figure out how to keep the drain pump in place without it short of pinning it to my skin.  I told her that I did not want to keep it as a souvenir and we moved on to the examination.

Well, things look good.  I think we can remove this drain.  First I have to remove a few stitches.  The doctor puts them in so tight it might hurt a little bit.  I apologize ahead of time.  There, that's the first one.  (I kept waiting for the pain.  It really wasn't bad at all).  The next one is a little tighter.  (Yes, that one pinched a little.)  There we go.  Okay.  Now, we want to establish a pattern of deep breathing.  (The last time I heard that was during childbirth.  After all that I have been through in the past month, is the worst part going to be removal of a little drain tube?)  Okay, deep breaths.  In and out, in and out.  This really doesn't hurt that bad.  Most people say it just feels kind of weird.  (With that, there was a little flip-flop movement similar to movement of a baby in the womb—or gas—only higher in the chest area, and the drain was out.)  "Is that all?" I asked.

After the drain was removed, the doctor came in and inspected the incision.  Things look good to her also.  The visit was short.  She assured me that there were no hormone receptors indicated in the pathology report, which meant no chemotherapy or radiation was necessary.  To be sure, she referred me to an oncologist, the one I requested (in spite of his similarities with the devil).  She also gave me a prescription and referral to a place in Salt Lake City that could help me with a prosthesis in a week or so.  She gave me a big hug and told me to enjoy my mission.  It took a second before I could swallow the lump in my throat and respond.  "I am sure I will."

"I am sure you will too."

No comments:

Grandma

Grandma
Now...

Colleen (Teeny)

Colleen (Teeny)
Then...